Lyndon falls in overtime

WATERVILLE, Maine – Thomas College was able to come back from a six-goal deficit to top Lyndon 11-10 in overtime. Matthew Quesada and Gunnar Shelton led the Terriers with two goals and two assists while Max Ercole (St. Johnsbury, Vt.) led the Hornets with three goals and two assists.

Thomas scored two quick goals to open the game in less than two minutes. Bradley Stiles hit the opening goal off an assist from Quesada and then Stiles would assist the goal from Quesada less than a minute later. Lyndon would get on the board with around six minutes to go in the first. Luke Norman-Laxroix (Barre, Vt.) scored on a man-up opportunity off a Dan Randall assist.

For the remainder of the first half, it was all in Lyndon's control as they scored eight straight goals to end the half leading 8-2. Thomas was plagued by bad penalties and turnovers that put them behind to end the half. The second half saw a turnaround by the Terriers. Thomas would begin taking more shots on net and staying out of the penalty box to begin their comeback.

Shelton scored his first colligate goal to begin the third period with six minutes to go. Thomas outshot the Hornets 12-2 in the third and by the end of the period cut the lead to 8-6.

In the fourth quarter, Thomas was within one goal after a goal from Jeffrey Morse off the assist from Sean Machin with 3:38 to go in regulation. Thomas would get a penalty that put them a man down and Lyndon took advantage scoring a man-up goal by Dan Randall to increase the lead to 10-8 with only a minute to play.

After Thomas got the ball back with 30 seconds remaining, Shelton sprinted to the goal scoring his second of the game and getting the Terriers within one goal. Scott Dumas won the faceoff for the Terriers and head coach Kyle Fleischmann called a quick timeout to set up a last second shot. With two seconds remaining,

Quesada ripped a shot past Lyndon goalkeeper Matt Reynolds (New Fairfield, Conn.) to tie the game and send it into overtime. In OT, after Thomas turnover Terriers' goalkeeper Jesse Morkeski made a huge breakaway save. Morkeski quickly got the ball to Shelton who ran downfield behind the goal and passed to Machin for the game winning goal.